The landscape was designed to fulfill 5 important goals:
- To provide food, shelter, and nesting sites for the resident and migratory birds that inhabit the Magnuson Park Historic District.
- To inform and educate the public with a backyard-size demonstration of a bird-friendly, low-maintenance, low-water-use landscape, on a scale that can be used as a model for home gardens.
- To enhance the beauty of the Magnuson Community Center landscape in a way that would be sustainable over the long-term by volunteers and Seattle Parks grounds crew staff.
- To provide an educational and encouraging starting point for families who check out the “Birds of Magnuson Park” Family Explorer Packs from the Community Center.
- To provide an inviting and nurturing spot for birds and birders alike.
We hope you’ll come visit and enjoy the result!