Sponsored by Seattle Parks & Recreation and Magnuson Community Center
Saturday May 10th from 10:00am-2:00pm
Migrate to Magnuson Park to celebrate International Migratory Bird Day! Learn about the amazing birds that travel thousands of miles each year to return to Seattle. Join us for a great day!
This is a FREE, park-wide event, headquartered at
7110 62nd Ave NE
Seattle WA 98115
Schedule of Events:
- 10am-2pm at Magnuson Community Center:
- International Migratory Bird Day information booth- Pick up maps for all the nature walks, Habitat Bingo cards, and other IMBD information!
- Magnuson Nature Programs “Nature Explorers Lab”- Fun and educational, hands-on activities for families and kids, including “Fill-your-Bill”, “Build a-Nest”, “Owl Pellet Prowl”, and more!
- Owl Storybook Walk- Explore the areas around the community center that Magnuson’s resident Barn Owls make their homes, while you follow the colorful storybook signs!
- Food Truck! Yum!
- 11:00 am- 2:00pm in the Magnuson Theater:
- “Birds in Our Lives” presented by Idie Ulsch from 11:15am-12:15pm
- “Migratory Birds” presented by Dennis Paulson from 1:00pm-2:00pm
Drop-ins are welcome, but to ensure that there will be a seat for you and your family at these fabulous presentations, you can pre-register at the SPARC website.
- Habitat Walk from 10:00am-11:30am: Magnuson Nature Programs monthly Family Wetland Walk. Learn about “A Ducks’ Favorite Din-Din” with Nature Educator Kyle Waggener in the Magnuson Wetlands Complex. Meet at the NE corner of the Magnuson E-5 parking lot (this is the only walk that has a fee- $8/family or $3/individual). Drop-ins are welcome, but to ensure that there will be a spot for you and your family, pre-register by calling Magnuson Community Center at 206-684-7026.
- 4 Free Habitat Walks, each from 10:00am-11:00am
- Promontory Point “Forest Birds and Habitats” walk with Marcia Rivers Smith from the Washington Native Plant Society (WNPS) Meet at the northeast corner of Magnuson parking lot E-1
- “Habitat Bingo” walk with Seattle Parks plant biologist Barb DeCaro. Meet in the Magnuson Community Center lobby.
- “Habitat Bingo” walk in Spanish with Jacobo Jiminez. Meet in front of Magnuson Community Center.
- “Where the Birds Nest” with USDA wildlife biologist Aaron Loucks. Meet at the Shore Ponds trail, just off Lake Shore Drive.
Drop-ins for all the above walks are welcome, but to ensure that there will be room for you and your family on your preferred walk, you can pre-register at the SPARC website for the 4 free walks listed above.