Our 2012 Discovery Days were a blast – check out our photo album for all the fun!
Each event featured a different theme with several different “Discovery Center” stations, each staffed with Magnuson Nature Educators and plenty of hands-on indoor and outdoor nature activities for the whole family, including a nature project to take home and a nature scavenger hunt. Here’s one example:
Saturday February 11th: “A Bird-friendly Neighborhood” 10am-11:30am
This FREE event was part of our annual Neighbor Appreciation Day festivities!
Families enjoyed visiting our hands-on “Nature Discovery Stations” in the Windemere Room:
- Wetland Discoveries: pond water samples and native wetland plants, with microscopes and magnifiers, ID guides, and more. You’ll see what the ducks, shorebirds, and songbirds who live in the wetlands are trying to snack on!
- Bird Nest Bounty: A big display of native bird nests to compare and contrast, and do a guessing-game.
- Story Time Corner: Bird storybooks to read and share. Group story-time at 10:30.
- Nature Art: Use recycled materials to make your own “binoculars” and “spotting scopes”, color and draw, or create other bird-themed art.
- Complete your Nature Station punch-card for a prize!
Then we all went outdoors for a guided “bird-friendly neighborhood” walk and scavenger hunt in the nearby park areas around the Community Center, and got to see the volunteers building our new Resource Conservation Landscape project!
Location: Magnuson Community Center Windermere Room and nearby outdoor areas
Fee: $2 per individual/$5 per family
We might host these events again in future years, so check back in the fall for more info!