Magnuson Park contains a wide diversity of ecosystems, and is home to hundreds of species of birds, insects, plants, and animals, as well as a thriving population of Pacific Chorus Frogs! Each visit to its wetlands, grasslands, forests, and gardens is an exciting experience for the children and adults who attend our nature walks, field trips, summer camps, classes, stewardship and special events.
If you are interested in helping to guide these nature adventures, the Magnuson Nature Docent Program is for you! Adults of all ages and experience are welcome, and we’ll provide you with all the training you’ll need to be a valuable and much-appreciated part of our nature programs.
Nature Docent requirements are simple…
- Strong affinity for assisting with nature education of children and/or adults;
- Passing a WA State Patrol background check;
- Attending 2 orientation and training sessions during the first year, plus an annual refresher session every 3 years;
- Attending the annual winter meeting;
- Assisting with at least 5 programs or special events per year.
…but the benefits are many! Here are just a few:
- The opportunity to help bring a diverse and multicultural population of children and adults into a close, positive relationship with nature;
- Your choice of many different types of educational programs and special events to volunteer in;
- The opportunity to learn from experienced educators, and to receive ongoing mentoring, guidance, and appreciation;
- Expanding your knowledge of wildlife, habitat, and ecosystems;
- The camaraderie with a wonderful group of volunteers who come from many backgrounds: environmental professionals, school teachers, park neighbors, parents of nature campers, members of King County Master Gardeners, Washington Native Plant Society, Mountaineers, Seattle Audubon, and more.
APPLY NOW FOR OUR 2017 NATURE DOCENT TRAINING! Our docent training sessions will be held on 3 consecutive Saturday afternoons:
- Saturday March 18th from 1:30-4:30pm
- Saturday March 25th from 1:30-4:30pm
- Saturday April 1st from 9:00am-12noon
To apply to the Magnuson Nature Docent Program, fill out the application form below. Thanks, we are looking forward to hearing from you!
Required fields are marked with *